At Inspire Academy we have a Local Governing Board (LGB) who work closely with the Executive and Deputy Principals along with other senior leaders at the Academy.
Inspire Academy is part of Victorious Academies Trust. You can find out more about the Trust on The Trust page. The Trust has delegated the role of making key decisions that affect the education and well-being of our pupils to the LGB. The LGB is vital to the successful running of the Academy. We have Governors with a wide range of skills and experience forming the LGB at Inspire Academy.
The Governors are involved in:
- Setting the Academies vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding the Executive Principal to account for the educational performance of the Academy and its pupils; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the Academy and making sure money is well spent.
Community and parent representatives form part of our LGB. They are an important link between the local community, parents and the Academy. Parents of pupils at the Academy can elect parent representatives and express their views and make suggestions about the Academy to them. The Local Governing Body for the 2017 / 2018 academic year is:
- Garry White – Community Governor (Chair)
- Nicky Wise – Trust Governor (Vice Chair)
- Karen Burns – Trust Governor
- Cllr Bill Fairfoull – Community Governor
- Louise Byrne – Deputy Principal
- Emma Richards – Staff Governor
- Ceri Wilkinson – Staff Governor
- Samantha Hughes – Parent Governor
- Nalini Bhagat – Parent Governor
- Lesley Fowler – Community Governor
- Margaret Sidebottom – Community Governor
You can find out more about our Governors on their Newsletters below.
The Trust has the attached Scheme of Delegation. This will be reviewed during the Summer Term with our new Trustees. The sets the context of the work of the Local Governing Board.
The following committees report to the Local Governing Board:
- Finance and Resources – Cllr Bill Fairfoull (Chair), Karen Burns, Louise Byrne, Emma Richards, Nicky Wise.
- Pay Review – Garry White (Chair), Nicky Wise, Karen Burns.
- Staff and Pupil Wellbeing – Garry White (Chair), Karen Burns, Louise Byrne, Ceri Wilkinson, Samantha Hughes, Nalini Bhagat.
- Appeals – Karen Burns, Cllr Bill Fairfoull and one independent member.
Our new Governors (Samantha Hughes, Lesley Fowler and Margaret Sidebottom) will be attending committees over the summer term and the final membership of committees moving forward into 2018 / 2019 will be determined at the end of the summer term.
As SENCo and Child Protection lead at Inspire Academy Bev Oldham attends some of the meetings as an observer.
All Governors commenced their duties in September 2015, with the exception of Nicky Wise (February 2016), Becky Booth (September 2016), Nalini Bhagat (January 2017), Emma Richards (March 2018), Samantha Hughes (March 2018), Lesley Fowler (March 2018) and Margaret Sidebottom (March 2018). Governors serve a four year term.
Governors are required to declare any business interests which they or any member of their immediate family have.
This is a declaration of any personal or business interests they or any relative or person closely connected with them, have with businesses or other organisations that may have dealings with the academy. If any interest a governor has could be seen to cause a conflict of interest they would be asked to withdraw from any decision making concerned. This is to ensure that our governors can always be seen to be putting the interests of the academy first.
The following list indicates the responses from Governors for the 2016 / 2017 academic year:
- Karen Burns – Director of Education, Carillion plc, Partner of Team Mental Health, Tameside SPSO
- Cllr Bill Fairfoull – Tameside MBC, Ward Councillor
- Garry White – Tameside School Standards and Performance Unit, Primary Lead Officer
- Louise Byrne – None
- Becky Booth – None
- Ceri Wilkinson – None
- Stevieann Partington – None
- Nicky Wise – Carillion Plc
- Nalini Bhagat – None
The updated list incorporating all new Governors will be posted here when available.
Donna Oldham and Andrew Hayday resigned from the LGB in March 2017. Becky Booth stepped down from the LGB whilst on Maternity leave from March 2018.
You can contact the Chair of Governors, Garry White through the Academy office on 0161 339 7822.
If you would like to help the Academy and share your expertise by becoming a Governor please contact the Executive Principal via the Academy office who can tell you more about what the roles involves. For the 2017 / 2018 academic year we have a full cohort of Governors.