Welcome to Miss Longson’s Y3B Class. On here you can learn all about what is happening in Year 3 and see all of the exciting things we have been learning!
Teacher: Miss S Longson
Teaching Assistant: Miss Owen / Mrs Douglas
Over the Autumn term, we will be covering the following topics:
- Setting Descriptions – this will be linked into our topic, ‘The Stone Age’. We will be focusing on expanded noun phrases and adverbials to really bring the setting to life.
- Persuasion – We be looking at effective techniques within persuasion. How would you persuade someone to buy odd socks?
- Diary Entry – this topic will be linked with Armistice Day where children will write in role of either soldiers or families left at home.
- Poetry – the children will be looking at performance poems and the distinctive features within them.
Throughout this term in maths, our main focus will be on place value and the four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division). However, we will also be recapping on other areas of the curriculum where needed.
It is crucial that children know their 2, 5, 10 and 3 timestable for them to be able to apply these skills confidently and accurately across other areas in maths. We will be focusing on our 4, 6 and 8 timestables over the Autumn Term, including the corresponding division facts.
Our main topic this term will be The Stone Age; however, we will be also learning about the Great Wars and Armistice Day.
Our topics will be:
- Animals, including humans – this will involve looking at how the body responds to different food groups; learning all about the skeleton including naming the major bones and how muscles work and help our bodies to move.
- Magnets and Forces – this topic will involve lots of experiments looking at which materials and objects are magnetic and conducting fair investigations.
The topics in RE are:
- Harvest and Special Foods – the children will have the chance to explore how food is used in the six main world religions, including fasting, feasts and symbolic importance.
- Old Testament Stories and Christmas – the children will enjoy listening to and learning all about famous stories from the Old Testament such as: Noah and the Ark, David and Goliath and The Creation Story.
In PE, the children will be focusing on movement and shape in gymnastics and how to move around a room differently but safely.
We will also be starting to look at long distance running and building up stamina, strength, resilience and speed.
In Computing, we will be researching and learning how to use the Internet safely and effectively.
The focus of the homework each night will be reading practice, spellings and timestables. The children will need to bring their homework diary into school every day signed by a grown up. If this has not been completed, dinnertime will be used to ensure regular practice occurs.
PE will take place on Wednesday and Fridays but please make sure your child has their PE kit in school at all times.
The children will receive personalised targets at the end of every half term. Please continue to support and work through their targets at home with them.
If you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. Please make an appointment at the office or speak to us at the end of the day.